Friday, January 6, 2012

DIY Toddler Leggings


 I have seen all sorts of tutorials around for baby legs.  Don't get me wrong.  I like baby legs because they make it easier to change diapers and I love seeing a little thigh poking out the top.  BUT I also hate them because they don't stay up well and they end up being more work than they are worth.

About a month ago, I had an epiphany.  Leggings.  I know it doesn't sound that original, but hear me out.  I found some knee highs in the women's section at Target and the wheels started turning when I laid them down like this.


Do you see it?  I realized you could make leggings from a pair of $3 socks so easily!

Here's how you do it.

Begin by cutting the toe off of the socks.  I found it was best to cut them out at the same time so they were exactly the same. 


Next, make a cut down the bottom side of the foot of the sock.  It should start where you cut the top off, and end right where the heel should go.  Do that on both socks.

You will need to pin the right sides together next.  The best way to do this is to start by matching up the middle and pinning up both sides one after the other.  Then sew along the edge.


Turn right side out and it will look like this.


Last, take some elastic and measure around the waist of whoever is going to be wearing these.  My daughter had a measurement of 17 1/2 inches without stretching the elastic.  Pin the elastic into the top of the leggings so that the sock is folded over the top of it.  Then simply do a zig zag stitch all the way around (sewing on top of both the fabric and the elastic).  The zig zag stitch makes it so there is a little stretch.


 Put them on and let your little one enjoy the cuteness.


I also did some grey ones that I love.




What do you think?  It's easy, inexpensive, versatile and so so cute!
Pin It!

22 comments:

The Conrad Family said...

Adorable and very clever!! Also...I love her tiny Toms!! Good job Jonie!!

Delirious said...

Oh my gosh I love these! What a great idea!!

Lisa Fliehman said...

Well how cute! I will have to remember this if we ever have any little girls in the family.

Unknown said...

This is pretty genius! (and stinking adorable, too!)

The Clegg Family said...

What a cool idea!
{Visiting from TT&J}

Jenn said...

Are you for real? These are the cutest things ever.

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

This is such a good idea! Love it! I am featuring it at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com.

Rhiannon said...

Amazing! And so easy! Saw you at someday crafts. I need me some socks :)

Amy at Ameroonie Designs said...

I love them Jonie! Super cute. :)
xoxo,
Amy
oh- and I forgot to mention GENIUS!

Anonymous said...

Love this idea, they are adorable!

Stacey Queen of Rants and Ramblings said...

THis is such a fabulous idea! My daughter loves leggings but can't stand the texture of a lot of them. She would love this... THanks for sharing!

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy said...

How CUTE are those leggings!! Now I just need a little girl to make these for! I love a smart project, and this is definitely smart! Thanks so much for sharing at Oopsey Daisy!

Annie said...

How smart!!! I love your idea! Thank you for sharing!

Mary Jo said...

I was just complaining about not being able to find any cute leggings for my baby girl. this is brilliant!!! thank you! I'm gonna be following along now. found you via pinterest.

bunnycakes said...

Bought some socks lastnight! Only 2.50 a pair at target... Can't wait to put these together today! Hoping they will fit my niece.

breanna said...

GENIUS!!!

Jenni said...

You are amazing!!! Going to try this immediately!

xoCIGARS.com said...

However, with my recent acquisition of legwarmer that I can't wear black tights with, I've come upon the dilemma as to what sort of socks I should wear and where I should get those. legwarmer

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for this!! I just made 6 pair for my grand daughter and niece. I also used shorter socks for a capri-ish look. my babies are only 8 months so they might be long but still warm and cozy.

Anonymous said...

You just blew my mind. =)

Beth said...

Just found these...love!

Rhonda R said...

What size elastic did you use in the waist?