Thursday, October 7, 2010

Ribbon Holder

POST EDIT:  For a more detailed tutorial, go here.

I originally posted this on my family blog, but thought that I would share it here as well. A while back, I decided that I wanted a way to display my ribbon and sewing threads that was both functional and good lookin.  After much thought, this is what I came up with.

I started with three shelves ($3 a piece from Ikea).  I cut one in half for the sides and then I bought some wood to encase the top and bottom ($1 total for wood).  The big expense was the $11 I spent on bead board and $5 on spray paint, but I still have left over of both. 

This is what it looked like after I had just finished spray painting.
Here it is all finished.  I have room for one more dowel underneath.  I love the colors and the accessibility.  I have a bunch of random ribbons that I didn't know what to do with so I bought these jars from IKEA and put them all in there.  It actually looks really great.

Someday, my craft room will be fully complete and I will show it all to you.  For now, you get this :)
Pin It!

13 comments:

Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate said...

This is fantastic. I really need to get my ribbon and thread under control! Came over from Sassy Sites linky party and now following :) http://answerischocolate.blogspot.com/

Taylor-Ann said...

super cute. I dream of the day i can display my ribbons but for now they all sit in a basket in my closet. Love this idea.

visiting from http://momslifevents.blogspot.com

PS..Im also your newest follower. :o)

Unknown said...

i need for my husband to make me a whole wall of these....i'm a mess and i know this is just the trick to get me back on track

Camilla said...

um you're probably the most talented person I know. ;) also, how in the HECK did you do this? you don't have to put pictures, but maybe a quick explanation of the thread stick things and the ribbon rod and how you put them in? i'm pretty uneducated when it comes to wood...

Candace said...

I just found your blog... You are so talented when it comes to DIY projects & decorating! I love your ribbon organizer!

Kitty Deschanel said...

Now I'll have no excuse for keeping my gift wrap supplies such a mess! If you get a chance, I'd love for you to stop by & post this on Not "Baaad" Sundays with LambAround. The Linky should be up this evening :)

http://lambaround.blogspot.com

Happy Homemaker And Momma said...

WOW!!!! This is amazing-I want one too...you can come to my house and make me one-I will pay for the supplies and the tea and cookies;)


Newest follower!

If you are interested I have a giveaway at my blog:

http://happyhomemakerandmomma.blogspot.com/2010/10/its-time-for-giveaway.html

Stacy Rajab said...

Such an awesome idea!!! New follower!

Sonia said...

Love this. Going to show it to my husband. But, how did you make the thread spool pegs?

Leanne said...

You did such a great job. I love how it turned out. I'm hosting We're Organized Wednesday through Saturday and would love for you to join the party. There's an awesome giveaway too.
http://organizeyourstuffnow.com

Taylor-Ann said...

Just wanted to add...I featured this ribbon holder on my blog today.

http://momslifevents.blogspot.com/2010/10/on-crafty-side.html

Taylor

Jocelyn said...

I love this idea. The result looks really great. I'd love to try it, but I'd like to see more about how you did it. What did the three shelves look like that you started with? Do your dowels come out so you can put thread on them, or do you have one end open? I just can't see . . .

I'm amazed, and I'd love to learn more.

Leanne said...

THanks for linking to We're Organized Wednesday. I'm featuring this on my blog tomorrow. Have a great rest of the weekend.