Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Harvest Blocks

A couple of days ago, I invited my sister in law Anna over to do some crafting.  It has been a while since we have gotten together for a project, so it was about time!  So, while the kids tore apart the house, we sanded, drilled, painted, crackled and dried these awesome blocks.

I have seen this idea floating around blog land to put tea light candles into decorative wood blocks.  I needed something to go on my mantel and this seemed too perfect not to try. 


All you need to do to complete this project is:
1. Go to home depot.  Get a 4X4 post.  Have the guy there cut it into 4 inch blocks (or whatever size you want)
2. Make sure that you have a way to drill a 1 1/2 inch hole in the top.  After calling several people on my street and making several house visits, I ended up going to Lowe's to buy one.  Save yourself a trip people.
3. Drill holes on top of the blocks in the center.
4. Sand like crazy and wish that you had an electric sander.  Unless you have one.  In which case this probably won't take you 4 hours to complete.
5. Paint the blocks brown.
6. Paint with a crackle paint. you can find this at any craft store next to the acrylic paint.  Make sure to read the bottle before application.  It helps.  Also, I only put the crackle on the sides that were going to be visible.
7. Now paint them cream
8. Cut out your vinyl and apply.
9. Light the candles and enjoy.


I love the way it looks.  Now, I just need something else on the right side of the mantel (don't you think?) 
*Ideas welcome*
Pin It!

18 comments:

michelle said...

I love them! Nice job! Saw you at Someday Crafts!!

Stacie said...

I LOVE this!! So simple and CUTE!! Thanks so much for sharing! BTW...I featured it here:

http://thecreativecrate.blogspot.com/2010/11/harvest-decor.html

Thanks again! :)

Julie said...

I love these blocks thanks.
I am also loving your Families are Forvever clock.
Did you make this or purchase it somewhere? If you did make it do you have instructions? Or could you tell me where you purchased it?
thanks julie

Amanda said...

I just wanted to stop by and let you know that I linked to this post today from the Home & Garden channel at Craft Gossip. :)

Your feature will appear in the main Craft Gossip RSS feed, on the main home page and can be found directly here
http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/harvest-block-tea-light-holders/

If you would like a "featured by" button, you can grab one here!
http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/grab-a-craft-gossip-button/

Karen said...

Very nice! How fun to craft with your sister in law. Fun times! Saw you on Sassy Sites blog hop. Stop by when you get the chance:
www.karismaheartsavannah.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Cute!! I may just give this a try!

Katie said...

OMG! I love this... so easy and makes such a great impact!!!

Erin @ 3 Meadow Lake Cottage said...

I love how you added the candles to the top instead of just doing plain Harvest blocks - very clever!
Thanks for sharing the 'how to'.
~Erin

Unknown said...

I'm in love with these. I personally think candles top off any decor. These look great on your mantel alongside the bundle of wheat (darling).

http://boyohboyohboycrafts.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Wow, how pretty! I love the addition of candles on top - they really transform your mantel! :)

Candace said...

These are so cute! Thanks for the instructions!

April said...

Super cute! I did a double take I thought I went to my blog by mistake...we have the same background...lol

kirstikoo said...

I would love for you to link this great tutorial on my Thanksgiving Link-up!!
www.kirstikoo.blogspot.com
SO CUTE!!

Sanditerese said...

I love these! I can't wait to make them.

Lisa said...

Stunning! Thanks for the inspiration!

Kristy said...

This is a great idea - thanks for sharing it! Something like this might just be a perfect gift for my sister...

Kristy said...

I used this idea as inspiration for a Christmas present this year - thanks for sharing!

I posted about it here:
http://slidingdownthestairs.blogspot.com/2010/12/homemade-christmas-katies-candle-holder.html

Katie said...

I made my own set of "Harvest" Blocks. I'd love for you to see my version!

http://sewwoodsy.com/2011/11/harvest-tea-light-blocks.html