Friday, November 18, 2011

Angry Birds

I have an obsession with pinterest.  There.  I said it.  My obsession isn't in the amount of time I spend looking at pinterest, it's in the amount of projects added to my to-do list.  This is one of those projects.  As soon as I saw this idea, I knew that I needed to make my own version of Angry Birds.  It is the perfect gift to give to any child really.  I am actually going to be sending it to my brother on his mission.  I am pretty sure he is going to get a kick out of it.

Here is how I made mine since it is different from the original tutorial.


Materials:
Yellow, Red, and Green Pom-Poms
Googly eyes
Orange, White, and Black Craft Felt
Dixie Cups

Let's get started.

I decided to do the angry birds red and yellow.  That way the game can be played against an opponent.  (Each player gets four birds of their color and a sling shot.)

To make the birds, start by hot gluing the eyes onto the pom. 


Next, you will need a beak.  The easiest way to make it is to cut out a tiny 1/2 inch square.  Put a single drop of hot glue into the middle of the square, squeeze it together and let it cool.  Then hot glue the beak onto the pom under the eyes.


If you want a more friendly looking version of angry birds, you could stop there.  But, it is called "angry birds" for a reason. :) Using your black felt, create some angry eyebrows and then hot glue them above the eyes.


Much better....and angry-er



The pigs are really simple.  All you need to do is cut out a nose shape from your white felt and add two nostrils using a sharpie marker.  Hot glue the nose on and then glue the eyes on either side of it.


And what game would be complete without a box to put it all in?  Not this one.  Using a paper mache box (that you can find at any craft store) I printed out this screen shot and attached it to the lid.


And there you have it.  A fun tactile way to play one of the top selling games if you don't happen to own an iphone or whatever other device that Angry Birds can be played on.
Pin It!

6 comments:

Leanne said...

This is so cute. My boys would love it.

Amy at Ameroonie Designs said...

I agree with Leanne- my boys would be all over this. It may just find it's way under the tree this year. :)
xoxo,
Amy

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

Cute! I love the eyebrows. Very cool idea, Jonie, and I think adults would probably like it, too :)

Unknown said...

Aiden would go nuts for this! Such a cute idea!

Rachel H. said...

Awesome :) I've been looking for another game/activity to do for the kids at Thanksgiving . . . and I wanted to do something with Angry Birds but had no idea how to do it until I saw your post! Thanks! I think I'll make the dixie cups into Pilgrim hats to tie it into Thanksgiving :)

MommaBoo said...

This is ABSOLUTELY PERFECT for my son's birthday. I was looking for an inexpensive decoration/toy-type thingy based on the Angry Birds Pom Pom idea and yours is 100% what I needed! Great for decor AND as prizes/goodies. I am SO excited! TY, TY, TY!!!!