Friday, January 27, 2012

Burlap and Felt Bunting

I decided that my mantel needed some bunting love.  I love the texture that the burlap and felt had together and that is where it all began. 

I started by cutting out some burlap rectangles and some felt hearts.  I used the old trick- fold the felt in half and cut out one side of the heart to make a symmetrical shape- and then used that heart as a pattern for the rest of them.


Next, I top stitched the felt hearts onto the burlap.


I found some brown grosgrain ribbon in my stash and used it to sew the burlap to.  I simply folded the burlap over the ribbon until it was a square shape and then sewed straight across.


I decided to do every other square with a heart on it and I continued sewing until I ran out of ribbon space.  Then I hung it up on my mantel to enjoy!


I couldn't just stop there though.  I loved the hearts and decided that I needed a banner up on my wooden sign.  I simply cut out a zillion hearts (at least that's what it felt like) and then sewed them together. 




This picture may be just a little bit cryptic.  I intentionally didn't show you the other side of my mantel.  Why, you may ask?  Well, I had one other thing in mind for the other side that I didn't want to show you until it was finished.  I didn't have the right light to take other pictures once it was finished.  Check back in a couple of days for the complete mantel picture. :) Plus, I will show you my mini mailboxes up close and personal like.


 I hope you like my lovey dovey mantel as much as I do.  I really feel like the buntings add so much fun to a space.  And don't forget to go link up your love projects on Gwen's blog!
Pin It!

9 comments:

jessie said...

very very cute, Jonie!

do it yourself divas said...

Oh Jonie... I LOVE IT!!!!!! So so darling! I wish I would have seen yours before I made mine the other day! I just might have to bust out the burlap again! You are so talented! Thank you so much for having us on POV!! It has been an honor! We would love to do it again anytime!

-Megan and Stephanie

www.doityourselfdivas.blogspot.com

The Conrad Family said...

Cute as always!! I need a little...or a lot...of your talent!!

Unknown said...

I love the texture of the burlap and the color scheme with the different shades of brown. Great minds think alike with the mailboxes. :)

Camilla said...

Love this Jonie! Just darling!

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

I love how simple this is, Jonie. It's beautiful. I love the dark red felt, too. Perfect choice for the burlap. It looks fantastic.

Kara said...

Love the buntings Jonie, especially the burlap one! I like the idea of leaving half of the squares blank. Looks just lovely! :)

Leanne said...

This is so cute! I love the burlap and felt. Cute mantel!

cami said...

This is so cute! Love the burlap...I will have to see if I have some extra at home. Darling idea!! ~cami
www.fourjokersandaqueen.com