Monday, September 27, 2010

Fall-i-fy your porch #2

Sorry for the delay in getting this post up.  It's still Monday though, right? :)

My next idea came from my need of something to go right next to my door.  I thought an urn would be really great, but have you seen the prices on those things?  Holy cow it's crazy.  I think the cheapest, good looking one, still costs about $50!  I wasn't about to spend that much.  So I decided to look around and see what else I could find.

One day while I was at my husband's aunt house, I saw a terra cotta pot that I thought would do the job.  I asked John's aunt where she had bought it so that I could go get one myself because I thought terra cotta would have to be cheaper.  Well, as luck would have it, she GAVE it to ME!  I couldn't believe it!  She told me that her neighbor was getting rid of it and had asked her if she wanted it.  It has sat next to her piano since and so she told me I could have it.  (Thanks Rochelle!!!)

I didn't much care for this lovely dragon fly and grass pattern, and I wanted a ceramic look.  Enter the High Gloss black paint from our last project. 


After two coats of paint, it looked shiny and perfect. 


Now comes the fun part.  To make this awesome new pot "fall-i-fied" I knew I needed a few things:

*red and yellow fake leaves (I got the red ones at the dollar store, and the yellow ones at walmart.  They were only a dollar for a big branch of them.)
*pumpkins
*hot glue

I started gluing the leaves on making sure that both colors were showing well.



Now, put the pumpkin on your pot and wah-lah!  Very festive.  The smaller pot I found at a yard sale for $1.00 which was precisely in my price range :)  I like the height difference having two pots has.  I plan on adding one more thing that I will talk about later this week.



 Before:                                                                           After:

Sorry about the late night pictures.

In case you missed it, I talk about making the corn husk wreath here.  It really adds a lot to the overall look of my front porch.  I love it. 

Wednesday's topic is going to be ALL about buying the perfect pumpkins to decorate with.  You won't want to miss it!




Oh, and in case you missed the first fall porch post, here it is.
Pin It!

3 comments:

Jackie Koll said...

Just wondering where you are going to use your fence you made? Or is that coming in future posts ? :-)

Jonie Marie said...

Jackie-
Yes, I will eventually show you where I am going to use it. I just didn't want to give it all away at once :) The suspense is killing you, right? lol.

Jackie Koll said...

Yes it is :-) LOL I put my cornhusks up on my porch today and have asked my husband to cut some wood down for me for my fence so I can paint it this weekend (I hate the saw!). Not sure when I'll get my pumpkins but I love the urn too!