Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Fall-i-fy Your Porch #3

Buying the perfect pumpkins:

If you were to ask my husband, he would say that the bigger the pumpkin the better.  I know there are a lot of people that would say that, but not me.  Especially when it comes to putting them on my porch.  I am a little more practical when it comes to decorating my porch.  (Here is my disclaimer to this post: I am in no way claiming myself to be an expert and a lot of what I say may be common sense.  Just in case there is someone that is interested though, I will write this post.)  Let's begin.

1.  Height is probably the biggest factor I take into consideration whenever I am decorating anything.  I like to have things at different heights to add interest.  The same goes for Pumpkins.  If you place them at different levels or have different sizes of pumpkins it makes your finished product look finished rather then just randomly placed. 

2. Color can make things more inviting and more pleasing to the eye.  Fall is a great time for color, so why not use the colors you have.  I usually buy green, yellow and orange pumpkins.  This year I found some really cool white and orange striped ones that I am so excited to use.

3. Shape can also help with the height factor.  I like to get a tall skinny pumpkin, a round plump pumpkin several small ones, and I usually let my husband get one really big one that we can carve later.  I just like the variety.  I usually get quite a few little ones actually because you can stack them and fill in those "cracks" that are just missing something. 
(Now that our porch is bigger, I am planning on buying more pumpkins than we have been able to in years past.) 

Keep these simple ideas in mind as you go buy your pumpkins.  I hope it was helpful.  If you have any other ideas, please leave a comment for everyone to see so that we can help each other out.  I know I would love to hear it!

****As a side note, I like to help the local farmers out by buying my big pumpkins from them.  They usually have a great selection and are far less expensive than, say, Walmart.  So it is a win-win situation.  (If you live in Lehi, go to the Evan's Family Farm.  That is where I got mine.  They are conveniently just down the street from my house.  Email me if you need directions)

While you are out buying your pumpkins, start collecting your other items as well such as the Corn Stalks and Straw Bales.  We are almost ready to put the porch together.  I can't wait to show you the final result.  I think you are going to be happy with your charming fall porch makeover.  I plan on having my porch finished by Friday, so make sure to get your stuff ready to go by then!

*****All images are from a google search I did.  I did not take any of them. *****
Pin It!

No comments: